I’m over making resolutions but I love the idea of three words that you hope will mark your year. Instead of specific goals they are more themes that will guide and shape the decisions you make.
So for me, my words are AUTHENTICITY, INTENTIONALITY and CREATIVITY.
- Authenticity – one of the great gifts those of us in the church world can have is the gift of BS. In my mind, one of the greatest necessities in life, especially in ministry, is authenticity. And sadly, too often, the church is one of the last places we can be real. For some odd reason we like to have a glossy finish and appear to have it altogether. I’m fairly guilty of that and I want this year of my life to be marked with authenticity in all areas of my life… personally, at work, with friends and in community.
- Intentionality – I tend to live life a bit haphazardly. I am a fan of randomness and spontaneity but realize that isn’t always the best place to live life from. This year I want to be intentional with my time and relationships. I want to live life with more balance and schedule my life around relationships and things that matter. I want to be intentional in taking time for myself, too.
- Creativity – I’m a creative but I haven’t felt very creative lately. I’ve done some creative things… but I’m ready to do something new. I want to do things this year to cultivate creativity and inspiration in my life. I want to go to more concerts and art galleries, read more and spend less time in front of a computer screen. I believe that the best creativity is derived by time spent with the Creator, and so I hope to create [no pun intended] time to do just that.
So, all of this sounds great, but making it a bit practical…
On Authenticity, I hope to:
- Be real. Have some tough conversations.
- Be honest. If I’m not having a great day, I will be real about it!
On Intentionality, I hope to:
- Be organized. I want to start actually putting things in my iCalendar and live my whim.
- Be committed. I want to set up weekly/bi-weekly/monthly times with friends who I can invest in and with those who can invest in me.
On Creativity, I hope to:
- Be a reader. My reading has been limited lately. I want to unplug and connect with some good books this year. And by that I mean more than 2 books per month.
- Be a student. I want to take a class or do something to expand my horizons a bit. I’ll definitely be hitting up some conferences this year but it would be fun to broaden my horizons this year and check out some new ones.
All in all… I hope to have a healthy and balanced year… marked by authenticity, intentionality, and creativity.