Tonight @ChrisGuillebeau graced Chicago with his presence for his $1oo Startup Book Tour. A great crowd of non-conformists, entrepreneurs, and world dominators gathered to hear Chris give a quick lecture on some of the ideas shared in his book.
Here’s a few quotables from the night:
- Begin a project by defining your own success.
- Don’t let other people define success for you.
- The best freedom and security comes from creative self-employment.
- Sometimes we need moments of forced transition [layoffs, etc] to find what we are truly called to do.
- Have a sense of urgency about what you are doing.
- We have never had an opportunity like we have today.
- We have a responsibility with the opportunity we have been given.
- Don’t focus so much on innovation… focus on helpfulness.
- We are on the fringes of micro-enterprise becoming mainstream.
- What’s the worst thing that can happen from taking a risk?
- Every experience is a learning opportunity.
I am a huge fan of Chris’s work, especially his book The Art of Non-Conformity. It was inspiring and encouraging to hear stories of people who have made a living doing what they love and to connect with other local non-conformists. The $100 Startup Tour is continuing worldwide… [Australia, he’s coming your way!] so make sure you check it and the book out!
Thanks for a great night, Chris!